Posts for tag: sinus headaches
What are Sinus Headaches? What you need to know about sinus headaches.
Chances are good you’ve experienced a sinus headache at some point in your life. You remember the pounding pressure and pain around your eyes and under your forehead. If you experience chronic sinus headaches, it’s probably time to seek professional help from the experts at West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, California.
You may have a sinus headache if you experience:
- An ache in your upper teeth
- Pain and pressure in your forehead, cheeks, brow or around your eyes
- Pain which gets worse if you bend forward or lie down
- Sinus pain that is worse in the morning
- Sinus pain that is worse in cold, damp weather
Sinus headaches are typically caused by a blockage of normal sinus drainage. According to the Mayo Clinic, sinus headaches are often associated with migraine headaches or other types of headaches. They can also start with an infection or allergy.
Your doctor at West Coast ENT wants you to know ways you can prevent sinus headaches:
- Avoid foods that trigger your headaches like caffeine, alcohol and tobacco
- Have a regular routine- get enough sleep and eat regular meals
- Try to control your stress
- Get regular exercise, especially aerobic
- Try and manage your weight
If you have taken steps to prevent sinus headaches but are still suffering with them frequently, you should see a specialist at West Coast ENT. Effective treatments for sinus headache include:
- Over-the-counter pain medications like Tylenol, Aleve and Advil
- Triptans like Imitrex which work by blocking pain pathways in your brain
- Glucocorticoid medications to help with pain relief
- Anti-nausea medications if your sinus headaches cause nausea and vomiting
- Antibiotics if you have an underlying bacterial infection
- Nasal steroid sprays to reduce the swelling in your nasal passages
- Nasal irrigation with saline rinses
Sinus headaches can make you miserable and it’s easy to just give up and resign yourself to having sinus problems. But you don’t have to suffer sinus trouble! Call West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat with four locations to serve you in Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard and Camarillo, California. Call today and improve your life!