Posts for tag: Hay Fever
What is Hay Fever? What you need to know about hay fever.
When plants start to flower and grass starts to grow, do you start sneezing and have itchy, watery eyes and a runny nose? Chances are you have hay fever, a common seasonal problem. There is relief out there, from your ear, nose and throat specialist at West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks, CA.
Hay fever is also called allergic rhinitis and it can resemble a cold, but hay fever isn’t a virus. Hay fever is caused from an allergic response to a substance like tree or grass pollen, dust mites, or pet dander. Symptoms can occur year round, or be seasonal depending on what you are allergic to.
You may have hay fever if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Sneezing and coughing
- A runny nose and nasal congestion
- Itchy, watery red eyes
- Postnasal drip
- An itchy nose, throat or roof of your mouth
Your Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks ENT professional wants you to know about some preventive measures you can try to protect yourself from hay fever. You need to avoid exposure to what triggers your allergy by:
- Avoiding the outdoors in early morning, when pollen is highest
- Closing your windows and doors to keep pollen out of your house
- Using allergy or HEPA filters in your house, especially your bedroom
- Using allergy-proof pillowcases and mattresses
- Vacuuming your carpets at least every week
- Keeping your pets off of your furniture and out of your bedroom
Your ENT specialist in Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks has several treatments that can help you with get relief from hay fever symptoms. Your specialist may suggest:
- Irrigating your nasal passages with saline rinses
- Allergy shots or tablets
- Prescription antihistamines and decongestants
- Corticosteroid nasal spray
If you dread the change of seasons and are afraid to go outside because of hay fever, don’t suffer! Call West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat with four locations to serve you in Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard and Camarillo, CA. You deserve to live a happy, symptom-free life, and your ENT specialist at West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat will help you do just that, so call today!