Hearing Loss Symptoms
Hearing loss comes in varying degrees and different types. It could be total or partial, gradual or sudden, permanent or temporary, and it could implant just one or both of your ears. It is likewise categorized based on which specific part of the hearing or auditory system is affected.
If you suspect that you’ve developed hearing loss, consult with your ENT doctor in Thousand Oaks, CA, Simi Valley, CA, Oxnard, CA, or Camarillo, CA, office here at West Coast ENT Head & Neck Surgery. Meanwhile, here are common hearing loss warning signs you should know about.
Warnings Signs of Hearing Loss to Watch Out For
In most cases, hearing loss isn’t immediately realized by the affected individual. It’s typically the family members or close friends that notice the hearing difficulties. For example, they might complain that you constantly ask them to say things that they’ve just said or that you listen to music or watch videos too loud. You may also be unaware of your phone or the doorbell ringing when others can hear them perfectly.
While each individual will experience hearing loss symptoms differently, the most common warning signs usually include the following:
- Frequent requests for clarification or repetition.
- Not being able to hear other people fully and clearly. It might seem to you that they’re mumbling, or you might find that you don’t hear the entire conversation.
- Needing to stare at someone speaking so that you can understand what they’re saying more easily.
- Feeling fatigued after the day’s end because of straining to hear people and things.
- Pretending that you heard what someone just said for fear of having to ask what they’ve just said.
- Withdrawing from social events to avoid conversing in noisy environments.
Diagnosing Hearing Loss
While hearing loss is actually common in older individuals, especially those older than 65 years old, it’s usually underdiagnosed, according to the Hearing Loss Association of America. Losing your hearing could immensely impact your quality of life. So the moment you suspect you’re losing your hearing, even if you’re not entirely certain, visit your ENT doctor in our Simi Valley, CA, Oxnard, CA, Camarillo, CA, or Thousand Oaks, CA, office. Hearing loss can be diagnosed accurately using various tests.
Think You May Have Hearing Loss? Call Us
Arrange an assessment here at West Coast ENT Head & Neck Surgery. Call our Thousand Oaks, CA, office at (805) 379-9646, Simi Valley, CA, office at (805) 527-7320, Oxnard, CA, office at (805) 983-0395, or our Camarillo, CA, office at (805) 484-5929.