Posts for category: ENT Health Care
Talking to a friend, speaking on the telephone, watching a movie and many other everyday activities can become frustratingly difficult when you can't hear well. Fortunately, your ear, nose, and throat doctors (ENTs) at West Coast Ear, Nose, and Throat in Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo, CA, offer treatments that may improve your hearing loss symptoms.
What causes hearing loss?
Hearing loss can occur for many reasons, including:
- Earwax buildup
- Fluid in your ear due to an ear infection
- Exposure to loud noises
- A ruptured eardrum
- Bone or eardrum abnormalities
- Illnesses or medication side effects
- Otosclerosis, a condition that happens due to an overgrowth of bones in the middle ear
- A benign (non-cancerous) tumor on the nerve that travels from your brain to your inner ear
- Meniere's disease, an inner ear disorder that causes dizziness, hearing loss, and ringing in the ears
What can be done about hearing loss?
During your visit to the Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, or Camarillo ENT office, your doctor will perform a thorough examination and review your symptoms and medical history.
Hearing loss treatment will depend on your diagnosis. If your hearing problem is caused by wax buildup or an ear infection, removing the wax or treating the infection with antibiotics and decongestants will likely improve your hearing. Tubes that drain the ears can be helpful if fluid buildup in the ears is a chronic problem. In some cases, surgery might be needed to treat hearing loss caused by bone or nerve issues.
A hearing aid may be a good option if hearing loss is due to damaged hair cells in the inner ear. Hair cell damage can occur due to aging, diseases, exposure to loud noises, or medication side effects. Hearing aids decrease background noise and amplify sounds, improving your ability to follow a conversation or hear the dialogue over the music at the movie theater.
Have you noticed a change in your hearing? Your Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, and Camarillo, CA, ENTs at West Coast Ear, Nose, and Throat can determine the source of your hearing loss and recommend treatment options.
You can reach the doctors by calling (805) 379-9646 for the Thousand Oaks office, (805) 527-7320 for the Simi Valley office, (805) 983-0395 for the Oxnard office, or (805) 484-5929 for the Camarillo office.
Would you recognize the warning signs of an ear infection, especially in your children?
While anyone can develop an ear infection, our Thousand Oaks, CA, ENT doctors often treat young children the most. Middle ear infections tend to be the most common childhood infection that often brings them into our office for treatment. It’s important to know the signs and symptoms of an ear infection, particularly in young children, so you can seek immediate care when needed.
Common signs of a middle ear infection in children include,
- Ear pain
- Fullness or pressure in the ear
Of course, while older children can vocalize what they are feeling, babies and toddlers cannot. Newborns and little ones may simply become clingy or fussier. They may also cry whenever you place them down for a nap or to go to sleep. Children with ear infections may wake up throughout the night because of the pain. Children may also pull at the affected ear.
If your child is displaying these symptoms suddenly, your child could have an ear infection and it’s a good idea to call our Thousand Oaks, CA, otolaryngologist to determine what steps to take next.
Will an ear infection go away on its own?
In many cases, ear infections will go away without treatment. Of course, it’s still a good idea to visit your ENT doctor, who can provide solutions to help your child manage their pain while the infection clears up. In some cases, antibiotics may be necessary.
If your child is prone to ear infections you may wish to talk with our team about other strategies to lessen the chances for future ear infections, as recurring infections could impact their hearing or cause other complications.
When should I see an otolaryngologist?
It’s a good idea to visit our ENT team if your child is experiencing any of these symptoms,
- A fever of 102 F or higher
- Symptoms that are only getting worse
- Trouble hearing
- Fluid or pus draining from the ear
Of course, if you or your child’s symptoms are severe it’s always a good idea to play it safe and see a doctor. Our team can easily examine the infection and determine whether antibiotics are needed.
West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat provides comprehensive, gentle and caring ear, nose and throat care to patients of all ages living in and around Thousand Oaks, Simi, Oxnard and Camarillo, CA. If you or your little one is experiencing symptoms of an ear infection and you want to know whether you should come in for a checkup, call us today. Call our Thousand Oaks, CA, office at (805) 379-9646, Simi Valley, CA, office at (805) 527-7320, Oxnard, CA, office at (805) 983-0395, or our Camarillo, CA, office at (805) 484-5929.
Could you benefit from a visit to the ENT doctors at West Coast Ear, Nose, Throat in Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks, CA? The doctors treat a variety of conditions and illnesses ranging from sinusitis to sleep apnea to hearing loss.
Make an ENT appointment if you have these symptoms
Ear, nose, and throat doctors treat illnesses and conditions that affect the throat, larynx (voice box), nose, sinuses, ears, and mouth. Call the Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks, CA, ENT office if you're concerned about:
- Chronic Sinusitis: If you've had sinusitis symptoms for three months or longer or have frequent bouts of sinusitis, it's a good idea to see the ENT. Your doctor can offer medications or procedures that ease nasal congestion, pain, headaches, pressure, and other sinusitis symptoms.
- A Sore Throat That Won't Go Away: A sore throat often accompanies a viral infection and usually gets better on its own. Let your ENT know if your sore throat lasts longer than a week or keeps coming back.
- Frequent Nosebleeds: When nosebleeds happen often, your ENT can diagnose the cause of the problem and offer helpful treatments.
- Trouble Hearing: Have you been having trouble hearing lately? Hearing issues can be caused by impacted ear wax, age-related changes in your ear, ear infections, head injuries, exposure to loud noises, and certain diseases.
- Dizziness and Vertigo: Dizziness or vertigo can be related to inner ear issues. Your ENT offers treatments that will prevent or reduce bouts of dizziness or vertigo.
- Ear Infections: Ear infections can happen at any age, although they're particularly common in children.
- Allergies: ENTs can help you deal with sneezing, congestion, coughing, itchy eyes, and other allergy symptoms.
- Voice Changes: Make an appointment with your ENT if laryngitis, hoarseness, or other voice changes last more than a few weeks.
- Loud Snoring and Daytime Drowsiness: These symptoms may be caused by sleep apnea, a dangerous condition that causes short breathing pauses throughout the night. Treatment can help you avoid heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other health conditions related to sleep apnea.
- Other Issues: It's also important to see your ENT if you have trouble swallowing, notice a lump on your neck, or have frequent tonsillitis or adenoiditis.
Is it time for a visit to your Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks, CA, ENTs? Schedule an appointment by calling (805) 379-9646 for the Thousand Oaks office, (805) 527-7320 for the Simi Valley office, (805) 983-0395 for the Oxnard office, or (805) 484-5929 for the Camarillo office.
Find out when surgery may be the best way to treat your chronic sinus issues.
If you’ve been told that you have sinusitis or a sinus infection, chances are good that this was a problem that your regular doctor diagnosed. While most sinus infections will go away on their own (or with treatment), if you’ve been battling symptoms for more than three months without relief then you could be dealing with chronic sinusitis. This is when specialists like our own otolaryngologists here in Thousand Oaks, CA, can provide you with more comprehensive treatment. One of these options is sinus surgery thousand oaks style.
Do I Need Surgery?
Not necessarily. When it comes to treating your sinus problems, our Thousand Oaks CA, ENT doctors will provide you with nonsurgical options first before even considering sinus surgery. The goal is to provide you with the best relief possible through the most conservative treatment options. This includes things like antibiotics, steroid medications, or nasal irrigations.
Of course, if your chronic sinus issues do not respond to any of these medical interventions then it may be time to consider sinus surgery in Thousand Oaks. You may also want to consider sinus surgery if:
- Your sinus infection is due to a fungal infection
- You have sinus or nasal polyps
- You have structural defects in the nose or sinuses (e.g. deviated septum)
- An infection within the sinuses has spread to the bone
- You have paranasal or nasal sinus cancer
If you are dealing with chronic sinusitis, the most common type of surgery is a minimally invasive endoscopic surgery. Endoscopic sinus surgery can provide amazing relief and results through more minimally aggressive techniques that do not involve cutting or incisions. During endoscopic surgery, our team of ENT doctors will go inside the nasal cavity to clean out the sinuses.
If you are getting endoscopic surgery for other nasal or sinus problems then some tissue may need to be removed. Structural abnormalities or defects within the nose or sinus cavity may require traditional sinus surgery to repair and fix these issues.
West Coast Ear, Nose, and Throat offer sinus surgery, thyroid treating, hearing loss evaluations, and more to patients living in and around Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, and Camarillo, CA. If you are dealing with recurring or persistent sinus problems turn to our team today by calling (805) 379-9646, (805) 527-7320, (805) 983-0395 or (805) 484-5929.
Do you need sinus surgery? If you have chronic sinusitis, a recurring infection of the air-filled spaces about the brows, behind the nose and under the cheeks, you just may benefit from one of today's technologically-advanced surgical techniques. At West Coast Ear Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, Ventura County, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks, CA, sinus surgery relieves many patients of their distressing pain, pressure and drainage. Learn the details on sinusitis and how your ENT physician can help.
Sinusitis will do that, particularly if your infections are so frequent that your otolaryngologist considers them chronic. Nasal decongestants, steroidal medications, antihistamines, sinus irrigation and antibiotics help for a time, but then, the fatigue, drainage and congestion typical of sinusitis returns.
Other stubborn sinus problems include:
- Allergic rhinitis (with symptoms similar to sinusitis)
- A deviated septum (the bone within the nose is crooked, blocking free flow of air and mucous)
- Large nasal polyps (fleshy, benign growths)
- Structural problems due to a facial injury
These issues cause patients of all ages to suffer from symptoms of a stuffy nose, headaches, lowered sense of smell, thick, yellow or green mucus, tiredness, and more. When aggressive and long-term medical interventions such as those mentioned above do not relieve symptoms, then your ENT doctor may recommend sinus surgery.
Fortunately, many of today's sinus surgeries are performed in-office with minimal anesthetic and downtime afterward. Your otolaryngologist will review your symptoms, look up your nose with a lighted instrument to get the best possible visualization of all your sinuses.
If surgery is warranted, expect the doctor to use a thin, lighted endoscope to enter your sinuses through the nostrils. The goals of the procedure will be the improvement of drainage and airflow and removal of excess tissue. Your doctor performs some sinus surgeries in the Oxnard office using real-time, three-dimensional imaging, a technique that's very effective when nasal passages are tight or malformed.
Sinus surgery helps
ENT Today reports that sinus surgeries are on the rise, with about 250,000 performed annually in the United States. Why is this happening? Doctors cite the ease with which endoscopic techniques correct abnormalities and improve symptoms.
Could sinus surgery help you? Only your otolaryngologist at West Coast Ear Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, Ventura County, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks, CA can tell you that. If you have stubborn, recurring symptoms associated with your sinuses, please call our office for a consultation: (805) 379-9646. Our team of experts is ready to help.