Hearing loss can occur so gradually that you may not realize that you have a problem at first. Recognizing common signs of early hearing loss can help you ensure that you get the treatment you need. If you are diagnosed with hearing loss, the ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctors at West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, Ventura County, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks, CA, can help you enhance your hearing with appropriate treatment.
Hearing loss signs
If you have hearing loss, you may notice that:
- People don't talk as loudly anymore: If you have difficulty hearing everyone, it may be you, not them. Initially, you may notice trouble hearing children or women with high-pitched voices, but it may become difficult to hear everyone eventually.
- You have to fill in the blanks: Hearing loss can make it hard to hear certain sounds or consonants. As a result, you may constantly guess what people are saying.
- Watching TV shows or going to the movies is frustrating: Do you turn up the TV and still have trouble hearing? If you've been gradually increasing the volume, you may have hearing loss. Hearing loss may also make it hard to hear the dialogue over the background music at the movie theater.
- You can't hear well if someone calls to you from another room: You may be relying on visual clues and lip reading more than you think if it's difficult to hear someone in the next room.
- Using the phone is hard: Phone conversations can also be hard to understand because you can't see the person's lips.
- You seem to have more personal problems: When you can't hear well, you may misunderstand what your significant other, friends, supervisor or colleagues say, which can lead to problems at work or in your relationships.
Whether you need hearing aids to combat age-related hearing loss, drainage tubes to remove built-up fluid or other treatments, our ENT's are committed to helping you improve your hearing.
Do any of these signs sound familiar? Find out if you have hearing loss by scheduling a visit with the ENTs at West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat. Make an appointment by calling (805) 983-0395 for the Oxnard, CA, office, (805) 379-9646 for the Thousand Oaks office, (805) 527-7320 for the Simi Valley office or (805) 484-5929 for the Camarillo office.