What Are Ear Infections?
Ear infections, known as otitis media or otitis externa, can be extremely painful and uncomfortable conditions, commonly affecting young children. Whether your child is dealing with a middle ear infection (otitis media) or an outer ear infection (otitis externa or swimmer's ear), treating it in a timely manner is crucial.
If your child experiences ear infections, visit the doctors at West Coast ENT Head & Neck Surgery in the Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, and Camarillo, CA area.
Symptoms of Ear Infections
Some of the most common symptoms of ear infections in children include:
- Pain: While older children can tell you their ears hurt, younger children may only seem irritable and cry. For younger children, feeding can be a tricky time as sucking and swallowing may cause painful pressure changes in the middle ear.
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble sleeping
- Fever ranging from 100 °F to 104 °F
- Yellow or white fluid (possibly blood-tinged) draining from the ear
Prevention and Treatment
The doctors at West Coast ENT Head & Neck Surgery are experienced in treating ear infections in the Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, and Camarillo, CA areas.
Some of the most common preventative measures can include good ear hygiene, staying hydrated, avoiding secondhand smoke, practicing ear protection, and managing allergies.
If your child is following these and still gets ear infections, these are some of the treatment options:
- Antibiotics: If a bacterial infection is suspected, oral antibiotics can help clear the infection and alleviate any symptoms. Otitis externa can often be treated with topical antibiotic ear drops.
- Earwax removal: In some cases, excessive earwax can contribute to ear infections. An otolaryngologist can safely remove excess earwax if necessary.
- Surgical intervention: If ear infections are severe or recurrent, they may require surgical procedures. This can involve placing a tiny tube in the ear (tympanostomy tube) to improve ventilation in the middle ear or drain fluid.
For more information on treating ear infections in the Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, and Camarillo, CA area, call today to book an appointment at West Coast ENT Head & Neck Surgery today.