Thyroid Surgery And How To Prepare For The Big Day?
Are you scheduled for thyroid surgery? The ear, nose and throat doctors at West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo and Thousand Oaks, CA explain how you should prepare for your procedure.
Schedule your presurgical testing
Make sure you complete your presurgical testing as soon as possible. Failing to schedule testing by the deadline may mean that you'll have to reschedule your surgery. Testing is usually conducted within 30 days of your procedure. Presurgical testing offers a very effective way to identify any conditions or diseases that may affect your surgery or your treatment. You'll undergo a variety of tests, such as a chest X-ray, blood test and electrocardiogram (EKG). During the visit, you'll discuss your health and surgical history and meet with a member of the anesthesiology staff. If you take several medications, it may be helpful to make a list of the names and dosages of your medications before your appointment.
Follow the recommended schedule for stopping medications
Certain medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, and herbal supplements can worsen bleeding. Stop taking aspirin and vitamin E 10 days before surgery, herbal supplements seven days prior to your procedure and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications two days before surgery.
Get ready for the big day in Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo and Thousand Oaks
Make sure you're prepared for surgery by following these guidelines:
- Stop eating solid foods at midnight. Ask your doctor if you can have clear foods or drinks after midnight. Don't eat or drink anything at least two hours before you surgery.
- Take important medications in the morning. Although you may need to stop some medications before surgery, your doctor may want you to continue to take others. Take these medications with as little water as possible.
- Leave jewelry at home.
- Don't bring large sums of money or other valuables with you.
- Don't wear makeup, perfume, lotion or powder the day of your surgery.
- Make sure that a family member or friend is available to drive you home and take care of you after surgery.
Making preparations for your thyroid surgery will help you ensure that there are no problems that could delay your procedure. If you have any questions about your surgery, call the doctors at doctors at West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, Oxnard, Camarillo and Thousand Oaks, CA.