Signs You May a Thyroid Problem
Thyroid problems affect as many as 27 million Americans, and nearly half of them don’t know it according to statistics published by the Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. Thyroid disease may be the cause of many unexplained chronic symptoms that patients experience. Medications and dietary changes may help with thyroid problems, but a doctor at West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, Camarillo, Ventura County and Thousand Oaks, CA may recommend that you have thyroid surgery.
What Is the Thyroid?
The thyroid is a gland located in your neck that controls your metabolism. When it isn’t functioning properly, it causes a number of disruptive symptoms throughout the body. Hyperthyroidism is when the thyroid is overactive, while hypothyroidism is when the gland isn’t working hard enough to meet the body’s needs. Thyroid cancer is also a concern in both children and adults. Thyroid problems should be diagnosed as soon as possible, because when the condition is properly treated it may give you relief from many of the symptoms you’ve been experiencing.
Signs of a Thyroid Problem
Your Simi Valley, Camarillo, Ventura County and Thousand Oaks, CA ENT will diagnose a thyroid issue with an exam and a blood test. These are some of the signs of a thyroid problem that may require thyroid surgery or another treatment:
- Sluggishness and fatigue.
- Excessive weight gain or loss.
- Anxiety, moodiness, and irritability.
- Depression and racing thoughts.
- Bowel problems (constipation or diarrhea).
- Loss of focus and memory problems.
- Swelling or a lump around the neck.
- Menstrual irregularity in women.
- Muscle weakness.
These treatments can get your system back on track and eliminate the symptoms that you’ve been experiencing.
- Anti-inflammatory medications.
- Thyroid hormone therapy.
- Thyroid surgery is a procedure that will remove a growth from the thyroid gland (or the entire gland) if the diagnosis is thyroid cancer.
- A nutritional consultation, as diet can have a significant effect on thyroid function.
Managing Your Thyroid Issues
You may learn that you have been struggling with chronic symptoms related to a thyroid issue. Contact West Coast Ear, Nose and Throat in Simi Valley, Camarillo, Ventura County and Thousand Oaks, CA today to discuss the benefits of thyroid surgery and other treatment options with your ENT. Call the office today for your consultation and exam.